Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lovely


We drove past a neighbor's home, a lovely, simple place- next to a pond. A small, handwritten sign, on a post out front, states simply- "Fresh Brown Eggs". La Principessa surely must see this- she has not eaten a truly fresh egg since she was a wee one in South Miami- and doesn't recall the experience. She trod carefully past a few ducks, no doubt denizens of the pond, and knocked on the door- a kindly, sleepy man shuffled out, gave her a nod and a box of eggs- "$1.75 fer the big 'uns- you'll save a quarter if ya' take the smalls." She was so excited, she sprung for "the big 'uns".
And, here they are- lovely, freckled and speckled things.
I taught her how to break them into a bowl, to be sure they aren't fertile, before pouring them lovingly into a skillet, bubbling with a slick of olive oil. Sprinkled with a bit of coarse salt and a few rosemary needles, they fried up right lovely. We laid these lovely, luscious egg jewels on pillows of skillet toasted challah in our favorite green glass bowls- so truly beautiful, fragrant, so good! So, don't fret about coming for a visit now, my lovely loved ones! We may not be unpacked, we may be without some amenities (a table! a sofa! shelves!)- but you are assured a lovely fresh egg, on lovely fresh toast, anytime.

10 comments:

  1. I know that we are supposed to candle the eggs- I just am not proficient at it yet- or these shells are too thick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a welcome!!! You home is so WARM already. And your description of your feast---perfectly sublime.

    Thank you for inviting us in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,

    Could you please e-mail me your new address--I have a teensy houswarming happy to send you.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful eggs we have! Their deliciousness was certainly enhanced by your marvelous cooking, Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I actually started blogging as a part of a school project, having to create a weblog for 'business use' with at least 4 articles, but I'm starting to take a liking to it. Might create a more personal one soon. It's a great way to get things out of your mind. Was my English okay in my blogposts? Will check out your blog as soon as I have the time.
    Yordi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca---I hope you'll send your address, so I can get this little happy on its way.

    And you know what? That tee-ninecy picture of Cape Coop on my "followers" list on my blog---I glanced over there first thing this a.m., and thought "Donald Duck?" I swear, without my glasses it's a b/w picture of him---Chris passed by, I pointed it out, and he said, "Rubber Ducky?"

    It's SO cute in that teensy picture, not its own distinguished self of the perfect architechture. Thank you for the smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get my lazy self out on Saturday mornings to go get fresh eggs at the local farmers' market!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HAVE SHINGLES IN MY EYES RIGHT NOW, BUT WE WILL BE BLOGGING A BIT SOON. LA PRINCIPESSA WILL BE HELPING ME.

    ReplyDelete